Community March Against Racism
Community March Against Racism
Saturday, March 23
Starts at 2 pm at Clark Park (Commercial Drive and East 14th Ave.)
Vancouver, Unceded Coast Salish Territories
*Family-friendly festivities! Bring your neighbors, banners and drums!*
WATCH VIDEOS FROM LAST YEAR:
The International Day for the Elimination of Racism marks the anniversary of the 1960 Sharpeville Massacre in South Africa when police opened fire on hundreds of South Africans protesting against Apartheid's passbook laws, killing 67 and wounding 186. Every year we join friends and allies around the world to mark this day and to speak the truth about racism.
We stand in solidarity with the courageous leadership demonstrated by Indigenous communities across Turtle Island, most recently evident in the Idle No More movement. We also recognize that Idle No More is one mobilization amongst centuries of ongoing Indigenous resistance against colonialism.
This country is founded on the exploitation and marginalization of racialized communities, including dispossession and displacement of Indigenous nations, theft of resources from the global South, as well as the enslavement, exclusion and exploitation of diverse communities of colour. This country is marked by the forced confinement of Indigenous children in residential schools and the internment of Japanese-Canadian children in camps. Today we see the same logic resulting in Indigenous children being forcibly apprehended from their families and refugee children being incarcerated and facing mandatory detention.
Today we need to stand together and renew our anti-racist resistance. We need to show that we will not be complicit in racism. These are just some examples of devastating policies and projects that we stand against:
* Mass criminalization and incarceration under Harper's new omnibus crime bill and Kenney's omnibus refugee exclusion act.
* Tragedies of missing and murdered Indigenous women across these lands.
* Omnibus Bill C-45 that reduces environmental protections and threatens Indigenous sovereignty by privatizing Indigenous lands.
* Increasing restrictions on immigration and family sponsorship while expanding exploitative temporary worker programs.
* Bailing out banks while communities of colour live in poverty and face low wages, poor pensions, dangerous working conditions, and unemployment.
* Corporate destruction and environmental racism on Indigenous territories from pipelines in Alberta and BC to Canadian mining operations across Africa and Latin America.
* Involvement in military occupations from Afghanistan to Palestine to Mali, and Tory plans to expand Canadian military bases around the world.
* Racist stereotyping, fear-mongering and scapegoating continues to permeate the media, education system, policing institutions, and workplaces.
We encourage our friends and allies to be pro-active in countering racism. Join us in solidarity and resistance on March 23rd to celebrate the dignity, strength, and resilience of our communities.
For more information email or call 778 885 0040.