The Media Co-op is hiring: Project co-ordinator for Community journalism across generations
Syndicated from Media Co-op on Tue, 2012-06-12
Community journalism across generations: The Media Co-op is seeking a dynamic person to co-ordinate our newest project!
The project aims to link elder (late in career or retired) journalists, writers and editors with young (20- to 30-year-old) journalists and media activists to provide mentorship and share skills. The co-ordinator will develop a detailed proposal, schedule and budget for the project, and then organize group events and mentorship through the end of 2012.
- Developing a proposal, budget and schedule for the project
- Contacting relevant groups of elders and young people
- Promoting the program
- Implementing the program and ensuring it runs smoothly
- Writing the final report, to be submitted to the New Horizons fund of Heritage Canada
Most of these tasks will be carried out in conjunction with the Media Co-op's Montreal-based staff and board of directors.
- Demonstrated skills in writing and implementing a medium-term (6- to 8-month) project
- Demonstrated skills in writing and implementing a mid-range ($5,000 to $10,000) budget
- Experience in outreach to various communities (including seniors)
- English-language public communication skills (written, oral)
- Experience in (and enthusiasm for) independent or community journalism and activism [if we want the person to have experience in journalism, put "experience in" rather than "enthusiasm for"]
- Commitment to principles of social justice, anti-oppression and consensus decision-making
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Previous experience with the Media Co-op an asset
This position is based in Montreal. It is a virtual position: successful candidates must have access to their own computer and internet connection. This position will also require occasional evening and weekend work.
This is a contract position for six (6) months, with a stipend of $800 per month for approximately 12 to 15 hours of work per week (depending on the final schedule, time commitment required per week may vary).
To apply, please send a CV and short (no more than 400 words) cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 26, 2012, at 5pm, with GENERATIONS in the subject line.
Start date will be at the end of June/beginning of July.
The Media Co-op has an employment equity policy in effect. People from marginalized communities, including women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, people with disabilities, Deaf people, gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, two-spirited people, transgendered and transsexual people, and working class people are especially encouraged to apply. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for employment equity.