The Media Co-op is Hiring: Vancouver Local Editor
Syndicated from Media Co-op on Sun, 2012-05-06
We're looking for a local editor to co-ordinate coverage and work with contributors and Media Co-op members in Vancouver.
The Media Co-op is hiring!
The Vancouver Local Editor will bottom-line development of content from Vancouver and will contribute to developing national content along with the other members of the Media Co-op editorial collective. The editor will also work to develop strong links with various communities across British Columbia, but especially in Vancouver, including members of the Vancouver Media Co-op. The Editor will also be responsible for fundraising tasks, including soliciting advertisers, obtaining grants, and broadening the co-op’s membership base.
• Aid in editorial decision-making
• Correspond with writers and edit their work
• Work in conjunction with National Fundarising & Membership coordinator on issues of outreach and fundraising
• Work in conjunction with National Editorial Coordinator in:
• developing posting schedule
• training volunteer editor
• publishing print issue of The Dominion
• Updating Dominion & Media Co-op websites
• Stay in contact with local editorial collective (attend minimum one collective meeting per month)
• Editing and writing experience
• Fundraising experience
• Familiarity with office admin software (word processing, spreadsheets)
• Experience with web publishing tools and social media an asset
• Experience with design & desktop publishing software an asset
• Commitment to social justice
• Commitment to alternative/independent media
• Able to work autonomously, self starter
• Strong ties with and knowledge of the various communities and organizations in Vancouver
• Experience in organizations with consensus decision-making an asset
• Experience volunteering with the Vancouver Media Co-op an asset
• Resident of Vancouver
This is a 10hr per week permanent position located in Vancouver. Salary is $10.25/hr. The position is virtual; candidates must have access to a computer and internet connection. We do require that the successful candidate attend at least one VMC collective meeting (usually Wednesday evenings) per month.
To apply, please submit a cover letter (no more than 400 words) and CV to email@example.com with VANCOUVER LOCAL EDITOR in the subject line by 5pm PST on Friday, May 18th. Interviews will take place later in the month, with a projected starting date in the second week of June.
The Media Co-op has an employment equity policy in effect. People from marginalized communities, including women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, people with disabilities, Deaf people, gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, two-spirited people, transgendered and transsexual people, and working class people are especially encouraged to apply. Please indicate in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for employment equity.