NFLD Fishermen Blockade Oil Again
ARNOLD'S COVE, NFLD. - Crab fishermen in Newfoundland headed out into Placentia Bay Thursday morning to revive their blockade of oil tankers, the latest step in their protest against the provincial government's controversial crab quota plan.
More than 40 boats have joined a flotilla to prevent oil tankers from navigating within the bay, one of the busiest traffic lanes for oil tankers in Canada.
Fishermen said they were prepared to block any tanker traffic, despite warnings from authorities.
Fishermen staged a similar one-day protest last week, by preventing tankers from reaching or leaving the oil refinery in Come By Chance and the transshipment facility in Whiffen Head.
That protest ended when Fish, Food and Allied Workers union officials met with Fisheries Minister Trevor Taylor.
However, fishermen say they see little progress made with the provincial government to resolve the ongoing dispute over crab quota management.
Fishermen have staged numerous protests against the government's quota system, which guarantees plant owners a fixed share of the supply.
Fishermen, who say the decision is being imposed unilaterally, complain they will no longer be able to sell their catches to the highest bidder.
Transport Canada said a warning to mariners issued last week is still in effect. It advised mariners to not impede the progress of tankers in the bay.
Mariners who don't comply could face prosecution under the Canada Marine Act, Transport Canada said last week.